IMC members and its Certified Management Consultants (CMC's) pledge in
writing to abide by the Institute's Code of Ethics. Their adherence to
the Code signifies voluntary assumption of self-discipline above and beyond
the requirements of law. Key provisions of the Code require that IMC members
- Safeguard confidential information
- Render impartial, independent advice
- Accept only those client engagements they are qualified to perform.
- Agree with the client in advance on the basis for professional charges.
- Develop realistic and practical solutions to client problems.
The Institute enforces the Code by receiving and investigating complaints
of violations and by taking disciplinary action, including revocation
of certification against any member who is found guilty of Code violation.
- We will serve our clients with integrity, competence, and objectivity.
- We will keep client information and records of client engagements confidential
and will use proprietary client information only with the client's permission.
- We will not take advantage of confidential client information for ourselves
or our firms.
- We will not allow conflicts of interest which provide a competitive
advantage to one client through our use of confidential information from
another client who is a direct competitor without that competitor's permission.
- We will accept only engagements for which we are qualified by our experience
- We will assign staff to client engagements in accord with their experience,
knowledge, and expertise.
- We will immediately acknowledge any influences on our objectivity to
our clients and will offer to withdraw from a consulting engagement when
our objectivity or integrity may be impaired.
- We will agree independently and in advance on the basis for our fees
and expenses that are reasonable, legitimate, and commensurate with the
services we deliver and the responsibility we accept.
- We will disclose to our clients in advance any fees or commissions that
we will receive for equipment, supplies or services we recommend to our
- We will respect the intellectual property rights of our clients, other
consulting firms, and sole practitioners and will not use proprietary
information or methodologies without permission.
- We will not advertise our services in a deceptive manner and will not
misrepresent the consulting profession, consulting firms, or sole practitioners.
- We will report violations of this Code of Ethics.
Institute of Management Consultants
2025 M Street N. W. Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036-3309
Telephone: 202-367-1134 or 800-221-2557